Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11, 2011

Yesterday was the ten year anniversary of the 9-11 attacks.  Where were you?  I was at home, I had just woken up and was watching the TODAY show.  I could not figure out what was going on, Scott happened to call right then and I remember asking him if something had happened.  I told him to hold on for a minute because they were talking about it on T.V.  He said, "Ya something has happened, they just flew a plane into the World Trade Center!"  As with many others, I thought it MUST have been an accident, as the day went on, sadly I found out of course that this was no accident. 
     I went to work, and we watched this horrible day unfold on t.v. until our boss told us to go home, and be with our families.  I remember Scott could not come home right away because they put the hospital on lockdown until they knew that we (in Utah) were "safe".  I remember being worried about my dad, because at the time, he was still working on base, and there was so much fear and uncertainty.  After this happened they heightened security on base so much that it took HOURS for him to get to and from work everyday.
    Ten years later, I still watch airplanes in the sky with a sense of fear.  I still tear up when I think about how awful it was to see those images on t.v. I can't imagine living close to New York, and having those "images" become more real.  I know that I should not judge people (and I really do try hard not to) but I must admit that to see people who look like they are from the middle east, I wonder what they are doing.  I used to get so MAD at my grandpa for being so racist toward the Japenese people.  Now, though I am still mad, perhaps I understand it a little more.  It's hard to remind yourself, that it's not the race that did that, it's the PERSON and that not everyone who is a member of that race, chooses to do HORRIBLE things.  September 11, forever changed the way our world is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment